Exploring the Forbidden: Birdwatching in a Restricted Area

I've been an avid birdwatcher for a while now and I'm always on the lookout for interesting places in the province of Cadiz to spot my feathered friends. The place I went to today wasn't new to me, but I was curious to see what the water levels would be in spring, with all the lagoons and lakes of the surrounding areas still dry and desperately waiting for rain. It is part of a nature reserve, but on private land and also considered as a hunting area. I knew that entering without permission was trespassing, but I was determined to see what I could find.


Bonelli's Eagle striking
A spectacular Bonelli's Eagle 


I remembered that sneaking in was fairly easy right next to the main gate, but this time the fence had been reinforced with extra barbed wire, making it clear that visitors were not welcome. After a moment of hesitation, I decided to take my chances and made my way into the hunting area.


Male Stonechat

I started walking along the main path that leads to the largest lagoon. As I was walking, I heard a sound that I couldn't quite place. It sounded like the panting of a big dog and I was almost certain I was being followed. My heart started to pound in my chest and I was too nervous to look around. I just kept walking, expecting to be bitten at any moment.


Red-legged Partridge

After a few seconds, the sound stopped and I let out a sigh of relief. I continued my walk to the lagoon and I was soon rewarded for my efforts: hundreds of White Storks were resting in the shallow water, an incredible sight! I spent a few hours watching these graceful animals' behaviour, getting plenty of opportunities to take interesting photos.

Part of the flock of White Storks on the far end of the lagoon

This side of the lagoon is in desperate need of water

Although the level of the lagoon is much lower than it was in spring, there must still be a lot of fish. I saw several White Storks, Cormorants and Grey Herons surfacing with a big catch. It must have been the first time I was so close to White Storks in the wild. I couldn't get any closer to the birds without being seen, but with the 600mm zoom lens there wasn't really any need for that. I only wish I had been a bit lower to the ground to take photos at eye level, but you can't have everything. Observing 35 different species, I was very impressed by a Bonelli's Eagle that was clearly upsetting all the other animals in the vicinity. The star of the day however was one single black Stork that joined its White fellows in the flock.


Bonelli's Eagle

Bonelli's Eagle watching the White Storks

I took one photo of the black Stork standing next to a white companion, knowing that the result would probably be under or overexposed due to the huge difference in contrast between both plumages, but the camera (or was it me?) did a great job, even without any exposure compensation.

White Stork and black Stork both well exposed


A graceful black Stork

It was the first time I saw a black Stork on the ground, but this one was at least as beautiful as the one I saw recently at Jerez zoo.


White Stork in flight

Storks are extremely elegant birds and have an overall angelic look, but still their bills are deadly tools when it comes to catching fish, as the photos below prove.


White Stork in the presence of some Spoonbills


Trying to get rid of an annoying companion


Finally, all for me ...

... another one trying to steal my snack


Plenty of fish for everybirdy, also for this Grey Heron.


This Cormorant looks very ambitious

... or just very hungry


Can the fish still escape?


Not a chance!


Mmm, squid!

Share it with you guys?


Holy crap, it's not a real squid!


It's plastic! Let go!!


Such a saddening sight to see these wonderful creatures mistaking a squid for an artificial fishing lure. Fifteen minutes later another bird tried to swallow it, but fortunately it was an unsuccessful attempt. Plastic is literally everywhere, people. 


Another Stork almost fooled to swallow an ugly piece of plastic


And another successful catch, a real one this time


Bring 'em on!

Final toss...

No more escape

That's enough for a while



Unfortunately I also found some appalling things: not only was the area flooded with empty hunting cartridges, I also spotted a White Stork with a plastic bag around its neck. One of those images that you normally see in the news or on social media now in front of my own eyes. One can only hope that the plastic wears of with time.


We hunters love and respect nature, Sir!


If only I could've helped this one

Another heartbreaking sight


After spending a few hours in the company of these hundreds of birds, I decided it was time to leave. After all I was in a restricted area and I didn't want to push my luck. I safely made my way out and upon leaving I was treated with some more birds of prey!


Sparrowhawk

I clearly heard the call of a Buzzard, but when I looked up at the sky I saw a Sparrowhawk soaring in circles. Then I heard the miaowing again, no doubt about it. Very high in the sky I then indeed saw a Buzzard! Closely followed by a Griffon Vulture.

And as if that wasn't enough, a pair of Kites graced the sky. A Black and a Red one, peacefully together.



This is how close the Kites flew together


Black Kite

Red Kite


Overall, an extremely interesting visit to a place that will hopefully get plenty of water in the upcoming weeks, just like the rest of the province. However I don't recommend entering this area yourself, there are probably safer places out there.


Common Redstart

See you next time, amigotes.

Obsessed birdwatchers may also like this blogpost.



Happy birding, and keep it safe!

Henry.