BIRDING TRIP: Laguna de los Tollos, El Cuervo, Spain

This morning I went to Laguna de los Tollos, a lagoon on the border between the provinces of Cadiz and Seville. Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions, I was still not allowed to enter the province of Seville, so I had to be careful and approach the site taking an alternative route, avoiding to leave Cadiz territory. On the way I spotted a lot of Goldfinches, Larks and an occasional Sardinian Warbler.

Path at the entrance

The site is easily accessible. I parked at the entrance gate and continued my visit on foot. I was immediately welcomed by a singing Corn Bunting.

singing corn buntng
Singing Corn Bunting

I followed the pathway and after five minutes or so I reached a hide. I expected the hide to be closer to the water, but even in what was only the first week of spring, there was hardly any water around. From inside the hide, there was not much to see really.


The hide overlooking dry land

I continued following the pathway to the actual lagoon, where I found some Barn Swallows feeding on the water and a colony of Black-headed Gulls. I counted around fifty of them. There were also some Kentish Plovers and Black-winged Stilts. On my way back I stumbled upon a striking Woodchat Shrike, first time ever I saw this lovely bird with my own eyes.

black-headed gulls
Black-headed Gulls

The part of the lagoon where there was still some water left

barn swallow
Barn Swallow flying over the water

Crested Lark

Woodchat Shrike


The species I encountered during my visit were:

  • Black-winged Stilt
  • Pied Avocet
  • Kentish Plover
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Woodchat Shrike
  • Eurasian Magpie
  • Crested Lark
  • Barn Swallow
  • Red-rumped Swallow
  • Spotless Starling
  • Eurasian Blackbird
  • House Sparrow
  • European Goldfinch
  • Corn Bunting
  • Common Linnet

This place is well worth a visit, but is probably more interesting when there is more water in the lagoon. I will try to go back one day after a longer period of rain.

Henry.