BIRDING TRIP: Los Hurones Reservoir, Cadiz, Spain

For the first time in a long time, I had difficulties waking up early in the morning to go birding. One of the reasons was that I didn't really knew if the area I was going to visit had a proper hiking route and if there was going to be a lot of bird activity. It was not difficult to find the little town near the water reservoir, but driving on secondary roads in the dark requires caution at all times. Parking in the little village was very easy and the first thing I decided to do was walking up the dam to enjoy the spectacular views over the reservoir and the little village itself. I was struck by the quiet and the fabulous smell of the trees, accompanied by the songs of Robins and Tits.

Female Blackcap


The reservoir was built in 1953 and is located between the municipalities of Algar and San José del Valle. The houses in the village, that were originally built for the workers constructing the dam, are currently not lived in but there are plans to turn them into rural houses to promote tourism. 

The village in the valley seen from above standing on the dam

One of the many singing Robins

Singing Robin backlit by the rising sun


Crested Tit


View over part of the beautiful reservoir

I did not see many birds near the water, only a Grey Wagtail, a Grey Heron and two Cormorants. The most common species in the near vicinity of the dam was probably the Blackcap, hiding in the dense bushes. Not difficult to hear, but quite challenging to photograph. 

Female Blackcap looking straight into the lens

Grey Wagtail on the rocks near the water of the reservoir


The two Cormorants landing on the water. Note the feathers of the one on the right.


On the other side of the reservoir, I spotted around ten deer, all peacefully grazing in the fields.


Really interesting landscape

I also heard several Green Woodpeckers, but didn't see any of them. At the end of the dam I found the start of a track that went through the trees back to the starting point in the village. Instead of going back to the car already, I went further away from the village and followed the main road, carefully standing on the side of it whenever cyclists, cars or motor bikers came along.

The beautiful road leading you out of the village

I had hoped to see some birds of prey, but it was surprisingly calm. As the temperatures started to rise, I did spot a Snake Eagle and a dozen of Griffon Vultures soaring through the air. One Sparrowhawk flew calmly over the valley as well.

Sparrowhawk

After walking for about one kilometre I spotted some Griffon Vultures sitting on top of the rocks next to the road, overlooking the valley below them. As the sun was still rising, I had the chance to take some interesting pictures with the vultures backlit.

Griffon Vulture

I have seen and photographed them many times, but these majestic birds with a wingspan of well over two metres never cease to impress me.

Although I didn't see a massive number of birds (this might be different in another season of the year), I would recommend this place for a nice, relaxing walk. If you get hungry and thirsty after your visit, like I did, you may be pleased to know there is a little café where you can also get basic snacks.

Henry.

Read about another visit to this place in this post.