Osprey Census in chilly Grazalema

As the alarm clock echoed this morning, I couldn't help but second-guess my decision to go on an Osprey census in Grazalema. The biting chill outside and the relentless wind made me question the sanity of venturing out. Nevertheless, driven by my passion for birdwatching and armed with determination, I layered up and headed towards the first location of the day.



Flying Osprey
Osprey

Upon arrival, the weather seemed to conspire against me. The cold was biting, and the wind had a way of finding its way through every layer I had wrapped myself in. To add to my initial dismay, the lagoon I intended to explore appeared to be completely dried up. Despondency crept in as I contemplated the possibility of a fruitless day.

Seemingly empty lagoon

However, the avian world had other plans for me. Despite the desolation of the dried-up lagoon, the air was alive with the melodious tunes of songbirds. The familiar calls of Wrens and the melodic warbling of Blackcaps created a symphony that resonated through the chilly breeze, uplifting my spirits and infusing energy into the day. I decided to venture further along the bank and a little later I had my first remarkable sighting of the day: perched majestically on a weathered trunk was an Osprey, an adult female. She seemed undisturbed by the chill in the air, showcasing the resilience of these extraordinary birds in the face of challenging weather conditions.

Osprey flying over the half-empty lagoon



Female Osprey flying over the valley


The wind had become so strong that I had to lean against one of the eucalyptus trees to keep the telephoto lens balanced. Another interesting species that I was able to capture were the six Egyptian Geese that were gathering on the bank of the lagoon, an invasive species that I saw for the very first time.

Egyptian Geese



There was some water left in the far end of the lagoon

I guess one bird is better than none. After this one and a half-hour visit, it was time to drive to my second assigned spot: the Hurones reservoir. I had never seen any Ospreys there, but the place is quite nice so I didn't mind driving up there, following the curvy, narrow roads through the Grazalema valleys.

Much to my disappointment, I saw that this picturesque little village is currently inaccessible due to construction works. Apparently it is being converted into holiday homes and the restaurant closed down in the spring of last year. This site definitely has a huge potential, but for now it seemed I had driven a long distance for nothing. 

There was no way I could get behind this fence

I decided to descend to the stream right below the river and see what I could find there, before thinking of a solution to get to the dam. A White-throated Dipper maybe? This place looked ideal for this species, with fast flowing water over inviting rocks, but all I saw was a Grey Heron.

Grey Heron


Finding my way wading through the river all the way up to the dam seemed a little too hazardous, but nothing was gonna stop Henry Sharp from reaching his destination! I finally made my way through climbing up an alternative path that led to the top, thereby guided by countless Robins, Blackcaps and Finches. I even heard and saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Alternative way up the hill

Almost there!

Are they even gonna rebuild the whole dam?

Absolutely gorgeous view over the desolate village

Also the opposite side has breath-taking views

Unfortunately, today there was no sign here of any Ospreys. On the surface of the reservoir I spotted fifteen Great Crested Grebes, and a little further a Grey Heron and a Great Cormorant were discussing the weather.

'Such a dull day, chap!'

Black Redstart

A lonely Griffon Vulture sitting on top of a rock told me it was time to head back home. I had counted only one Osprey during today's census, but in the end the trip had been more than worthwhile. Looking forward to going back to the first lagoon whenever there is more water, and also to visiting the renewed town of Presa de los Hurones.

Griffon Vulture

Check out a previous visit to the Hurones Reservoir here.

Henry.