BIRDING TRIP: Costa Ballena, Rota, Spain

As the end of summer is getting closer, I wanted to take advantage of this beautiful day to experiment with the remote shutter release in a spot where I know the Kingfisher often perches. I wasn't sure though if it would come along on a hot afternoon. When I arrived I was a little distracted by the presence of several White-headed Ducks, of which I took several close-to-the-ground shots. That only took me a couple of minutes, and I had barely put my little stool in a good position when a Kingfisher arrived!

Little Tern surfacing after a spectacular dive

I was too surprised however to react quickly as it dived into the water to catch a little fish and flew away past me. It didn't give me the chance to test out the shutter release, something that I might first want to try out with a more predictable species.

Female Kingfisher

Male White-headed Duck





Shortly after the Kingfisher had left, I was visited by a pair of Common Waxbills.

Common Waxbill



It was then time to take some photos of a colony of Cattle Egrets, that were first gathering on the grass and then decided to move up a tree.

Cattle Egrets




A massive colony

A dinosaur-like Little Egret

The same bird telling me to mind my own business

Wonder what this Cattle Egret was saying...

Common Sandpiper

After a short break, I then moved to the other artificial lake, where another whole lot of birds were waiting to be photographed.

Ruddy Turnstone

Common Greenshank

Common Pochards

Greylag Geese


Black-winged Stilt

Black-headed Gull

Little Egret in its favourite tree

Another Little Egret in the final stages of landing



Joining his mates in the tree

Before photographing some diving Little Terns, I first practiced a little on more slowly flying gulls.





And after the easy gulls, a bigger challenge: diving Little Terns! Without a doubt one of the hardest shots to take.

Still relatively easy when they calmly fly by


Things get harder against a cluttered background

One of many dives

One of many splashes





Another successful dive


I'd say there was a dive every three to five minutes, but it is extremely difficult to take a sharp photo in the exactly correct moment. Looking forward to the next attempt!

Celia.