Checking the Medina Lagoon's water level

In light of an unexpected rain shower last night, I made a spontaneous decision to alter my birdwatching plans for today. Instead of risking getting drenched on a walk around the Bornos Reservoir, carrying a lot of sensitive optical equipment, I opted for a visit to one of my local patches, the Medina Lagoon. This change not only spared me from potential downpour but also presented an opportunity to assess the water level after the previous week's rainfall.

View on the current water level of the Medina Lagoon from the wooden platform


I also wanted to see if I could reach the relatively recently installed wetland area by Holcim, a zone that this cement factory is no longer using and which they have restored in order to accommodate waders. Despite expecting a decent water level in the lagoon, I was surprised to find it considerably lower than normal for this time of year. Yet, in today's climate, what defines "normal" is increasingly ambiguous.

Despite my obsession with birds, I cannot resist photographing beauties like this Swallowtail butterfly



Not a lot of water also means fewer bird species. The largest group today consisted of gulls, easily over a thousand individuals strong. At some stage a huge cloud of them filled the sky, turning it into what was probably the largest flock of gulls I have ever seen in the sky.

An impressive cloud of gulls filling the sky

Apart from the gulls, I saw two Avocets, some Shovelers and Lapwings. No Moorhens or Flamingos, species typically present at this time of year in the past. Nevertheless, I spotted almost forty different species on this sunny day, on which in the end not one drop of rain fell out of the sky.

Some of the sixteen Lapwings wading through the shallow water

A turtle on a slow but steady journey from the middle of the lagoon




I am not used to seeing Kentish Plovers here!

The day also offered sightings of various birds of prey, including the striking Black-shouldered Kite and Buzzard, alongside the melodious song of the Iberian Chiffchaff, a delight to both hear and catch a glimpse of.

The lagoon was covered with water for less than fifty percent of its surface

Black-shouldered Kite resting in a tree

One of the few birds of prey that has the ability to hover in the sky


Flying right over my head in search of some rodents


One of the two Buzzards

Marsh Harrier


Regrettably, the newly developed area adjacent to the Holcim factory remains inaccessible, though glimpses from the nearby road reveal its promising beauty and the presence of ample water, holding the promise of future avian delights.

The recently installed wetlands area

A Grey Heron was the only bird I spotted here today

Find out more about the Medina Lagoon here.


Take care!
Henry.