In search of the Great Spotted Cuckoo near the Celemin River

Today looked, felt and even smelled like spring. Right after jumping out of the car, I realised wearing a long-sleeved sweater would soon make me sweat and that was not the ideal circumstances for a trip on foot that was about to last several hours. A simple T-shirt would be enough on my visit to the area around the Celemin river, during which I was mainly on the lookout for the Great Spotted Cuckoo, a wonderful bird that had been observed in this area around this time of year several times.

From the very beginning I had the feeling that on this excursion I would observe a lot of species. Songbirds were the first species I noticed right after leaving the car near the entrance gate to the Celemin Reservoir, an area which I would like to explore more in the future, after figuring out how to access it in the most discreet way possible.

Chaffinch sitting on a branch
Chaffinch at the beginning of my walk

As is often the case with songbirds living in an area full of trees and branches, most species here were rather heard than seen. A real symphony of cheerful chatter accompanied me along the river with a view on the nearby dry rice fields.

Great Tit

I didn't only see songbirds but also an interesting numbers of birds of prey, like Marsh Harrier, Griffon Vulture, Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon and Red Kite, quite an impressive range of different species.

Red Kite



Several Red Kites soaring through the sky together at relatively high altitude


Marsh Harrier flying low over the fields

Jackdaw cleaning up roadkill

I did not manage to get very close to the birds, instead I decided to take some photos showing birds in their natural surroundings.

Grey Heron in the rice fields

One memorable moment of this walk was definitely when I spotted a Little Egret hunting in the rice fields. I am still not sure what it caught, but is was huge and went in very easily.

Little Egret catching a great snack

… not sure what it was …



… but in it went!

Apart from flocks of European Serins, a very present bird was the Corn Bunting, singing on posts, in trees as well as on power lines.

Corn Bunting

Slightly to my frustration, a lot of birds were quick as a flash and therefore almost impossible to photograph, but I managed to capture a Cirl Bunting, a species I don't hardly see.

Cirl Bunting

A Meadow Pipit singing its lungs out


Nearby rice fields

Another Little Egret taking to the air

The final part of today's walk was without a doubt the most boring, or that's what I initially thought. It is a straight road with fields on both sides and little to hear or see apart from some Greenfinches and European Serins. Fortunately I spotted a Common Kestrel that was on a hunt for food. Although I already have tons of pictures of these charismatic birds hovering in the sky, I decided to follow one of them, ready to capture any special moments if they would occur.

Kestrels are very agile hunters


Hovering male Kestrel


I am thankful I was so patient: I captured a female Kestrel split seconds before catching a flying bug in mid-air!

Female Kestrel stretching out her claws to catch a flying insect


Tasty snack!

Patience sometimes pays off! And occasionally, well, you have to be lucky. I heard the call of a Spanish Imperial Eagle! I had seen this species only once before, during a visit to nearby La Janda. With a wingspan of over two metres, these giant raptors are a truly spectacular sight. I could barely believe my eyes, because I was looking at a pair of these magnificent hunters. Yes, two of them! To make things even more breath-taking, the birds decide to perch in a tree in a nearby field. Even at a distance of two hundred metres, I managed to take some memorable shots.

A pair of Spanish Imperial Eagles!

These rare birds are mostly seen in flight, and taking their photo landing on the canopy of a tree was a magical moment. Technically the photos could have been much better, due to the fact that I was photographing against the light and also because of the mere distance. Could it be worth spending a whole afternoon some other day, wearing my ghillie suit and entering private land, possible home to brave bulls? Very tempting, I must admit!


Finally, on my way back to my starting point, I used my tele photo as a macro lens. The Sigma 150-600 is really versatile, but I am looking forward to using a real macro lens soon.


Sings of early spring!


No sign of the Great Spotted Cuckoo today, but hey... can't complain after observing almost fifty different species including a pair of Spanish Imperial Eagles!

Henry.