Founding a Birding Tour Agency: a Dream come true for Manuel Morales

In today’s Interview we are having a chat with Manuel Morales, Bachelor of Environmental Sciences, and both ornithologist and expert ringer. However, he is probably better known because of the business he runs: Birding Tarifa, a tour company organising birdwatching excursions.


Manuel Morales of Birding Tarifa with the Strait of Gibraltar in the background
Manuel with a view on the Strait


Hi Manuel, tell us, how did it all get started?

I set up Birding Tarifa together with another person twelve years ago when I was still working on a wind farm. I noticed there were people interested in going to places to observe birds, and I knew where to take them. So I set up a company to show people around but kept working for the other company as well, to play it safe. I combined both jobs for about four years and then I saw that the company was really viable. And things are still going well today!


Where did you learn so much about birds?

Since I was little I have always been interested in birds. My father was and still is a hunter and both my grandfathers were farmers, so as I grew up in the countryside I felt attracted by nature. I used to hunt as well. I’ve hunted birds and rabbits for example. It was my way of getting closer to nature and birds. I wasn’t aware that there were other methods of getting closer to birds, like professional ringing or birdwatching. It was at the age of thirteen or fourteen that I came to realise it was not a good thing to do. I started to wonder why some people were shooting birds of prey while it was strictly prohibited. I remember I started to come up against people who were killing animals, although my father always told me to be very careful with that and to avoid getting into trouble. Little by little I started to feel less connected to that community. In some way I could understand why hunters do what they do, but nowadays I would be absolutely unable to shoot a bird for pleasure.





How do you look at hunting today?

It’s not something that I like. I am not against anything. Look, in my opinion, if you want to change people’s attitude, it’s better to engage in a constructive dialogue. I have offered hunters the opportunity to go out in the field and use my binoculars or camera to look at birds, something they have never done before. They sometimes end up liking it, but it is simply something they had never seen before. You point your camera at a bird, ‘shoot’ a picture, but the bird stays alive, it’s great. The problem is that conservationists and hunters often find it difficult to engage in dialogue. I think it’s no use telling hunters they’re bad and then refusing to talk to them.


In the province of Cádiz, we have a lot of different bird species. Which ones do you particularly like?

In general, I have no predilection, I like all of them. They all fascinate me, but I’d say maybe the songbirds just a little more. Most people focus on birds of prey, but I tend to like the small birds even better. What most intrigues me is the birds’ behaviour, knowing why they are in a certain habitat, why they do what they do. Their ethology attracts me more than simply identifying which bird you are seeing.




Which part of the world would you like to visit for a birding trip?

We guide several times a year in Morocco, but I’d love to go to Africa, more specifically to countries like the Gambia or Senegal. We’ve made plans to go there to explore the region, but still haven’t been there. In order to offer a trip to a new destination, it’s essential that you visit the place a few times yourself beforehand in order to know the local guides and customs.


What was one of the difficulties at the beginning in this job?

At first, I was concerned about not being able to guarantee clients the sightings of certain birds. If people want to see the Spanish Imperial Eagle for example, I can take them to a place where I know it is more likely to see them, but it will always depend on the day and sometimes you have to be a bit lucky.

I am usually not after rarities; I may as well tell my clients something interesting about House Sparrows if no rare birds are around. It’s all a matter of having a great time. Some people focus a lot of ticking off species on their life list, but in my opinion then you may miss out on some very interesting behaviour of other birds, happening right in front of your eyes.


Manuel guiding a group on one of his birdwatching excursions


Can you share a funny anecdote of one of your birding tours?

I remember one day I went to Doñana with a group of Norwegians, I imitated the call of a Quail. These birds are rarely seen, but one was attracted by my call and posed right in front of us. It is a skill I learned in hunting, although I wouldn’t call myself an imitation expert (laughs). I have tried it several times and, well, sometimes it works. But it was a funny experience for sure. These moments make me forget I am actually working, because it is where I feel a real connection with the group and I really enjoy that.


Quail

After all, what fills me with contentment is when a group I took on an excursion is happy. Not because we have observed a certain number of species but rather if they had a great time. A lot of clients are people who keep coming back and some of them have become friends.



Would you say that climate change is affecting your job?

Climate change is arriving, or should we say, is here to stay. There have been more climate changes in our planet’s history, but what frightens me is that humankind doesn’t seem to be able to stop it this time. Unable to stop it, or unwilling to do so. Doñana for instance has dried up, not due to climate change, but because of overexploitation and ignoring science. What is often overlooked is the fact that the marshes clog up as a result of human action around them. Climate change is happening, but humans are only accelerating things, and that’s worrying. A lot of the lagoons that we have in the province of Cadiz usually dry up in summer, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but those periods are clearly getting longer and longer.


Teaching the next generation


What advice would you give to people who are taking up birdwatching as a new hobby?

Technology offers so many possibilities these days, a lot more than when I grew up. Apart from that, I’d recommend going out in the field with someone who can guide them. It’s not necessary to go out looking for rare or difficult to identify species, that will only lead to frustration. They should focus on having a great time out in nature and learn how to enjoy birdwatching, it’s not a completion and never will be. It can be as wonderful to watch a Goldfinch as to spot an Eagle for example.

 

Thank you so much, and see you soon, Manuel!

 

 Check out the report of an excursion we went on together with Manuel here.