How a Routine Visit to my Local Patch yielded Two Lifers

The question of the day was if I could raise the number of observed species around one of my local patches, the Torrox Lagoon, to 100. Recent sightings of the Swan Goose and Eurasian Penduline Tit encouraged me to go for yet another walk around one of my favourite birding spots.

Today's tour started off very promisingly. In barely five minutes more than ten species crossed my path, including Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher. Things got even better when I arrived at the first stop, right next to my usual starting point near the parking space in the north-western part of the track: five Penduline Tits were flying playfully from tree to tree, emitting their high-pitched whistled call. They allowed me to take their picture before they hid in the bushes that cover the bank of the lagoon.

Black Redstart sitting on a tree
Black Redstart


Unfortunately, I was so taken by surprise by these little Tits that the few images I managed to shoot were not sharp at all, but I'm publishing them here anyway as this species was another lifer.

First ever photo of a Penduline Tit

Penduline Tit jumping from branch to branch

After only ten minutes I could already cross out one of the two target species of the day. On my way to the eastern sector of the lagoon where I was hoping to see the Swan Goose, a friendly Black Redstart offered me a great opportunity to shoot some decent photos as well, even giving me enough time to carefully aim for a good composition.

Black Redstart begging for a portrait

A photo I quite like also because the bird gave me plenty of time to take a few steps sideways in order to get a colourful and blurred background. Thank you, little bird.

It didn't take long before I also spotted the second bird species I was after: resting on the rocks of the island in the middle of the lagoon were several Swan Geese, birds that must have escaped from captivity, because this species has its origin in Mongolia and China, where it has the status of EN (Endangered). It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful geese I have seen.

Several Swan Geese together with Grey Goose and Cormorant

The Swan Goose is yet another species which does not belong here, in spite of its splendour. Unfortunately today I saw a few more examples of how humans under-appreciate our feathered friends: a gull flying through the air with a plastic bag stuck to its leg, an image that reminded me of the sad sighting I witnessed during another recent visit to a nearby lagoon. The gull is fortunately strong enough to fly carrying this impediment and one can only hope that the plastic wears off very soon, before the bird gets trapped somewhere.

Yet another victim of human negligence

Not much later, I stumbled upon two Mallards that carried a cable tie around their legs. It is really disgusting how ignorant people are, thinking they can treat animals like objects.

One of two Mallards I saw carrying a horrible 'band'


These images go to show how many animals are fighting an unfair battle. Few moments later I watched a scene that illustrated that nature is already challenging enough on its own: a small group of Eurasian Coots fighting over a piece of bread, with one lucky winner, the fittest or smartest of the flock.

A lot of contestants …

… where the smartest one runs off with the prize …

… but soon learns it is no match for a much stronger gull

Luckily the afternoon had some more beautiful surprises as well... some Stonechats followed me along the track that led to another great moment.

Male Stonechat



Beautifully coloured Swamphen

A pair of Cattle Egrets

Common Sandpiper stepping through the reflection of a Little Egret


Just before concluding the over four-hour tour, I realised I hadn't spotted any bird of prey, which is quite exceptional for this place. Not even a Spoonbill. However, I didn't complain about the other almost forty interesting species I observed, including two lifers! It was then when I spotted a greyish little bird, with its back turned towards me, not revealing its real identity. A House Sparrow? A brave Cetti's Warbler perhaps? No way!


As soon as I zoomed in with the tele photo lens, I realised I was watching an spectacular Bluethroat! It was looking for food in the grass and as soon as it captured a big insect, it disappeared between the reedbeds.

True identity revealed!

Who would refuse such a delicious caterpillar?

A truly great species to finish a highly interesting walk, still in the middle of winter with temperatures reaching 25 degrees. A strange feeling to hear Greenfinches already singing their lungs out so early in the year.

Make sure you check out our info page about the Torrox Lagoon.

Henry.